COURSES & EVENTS:
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is an essential requirement for all members of the WA Occupational Therapy Association and is fundamental to the development and maintenance of Occupational Therapy skills and the enhancement of patient care. This requirement is cited in the Standards of Conduct and Practice 2004, section 14 (OT AUSTRALIA WA [former name of the WA Occupational Therapy Association]) and is also a requirement for registration with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia.
Western Australian Occupational Therapy Association (WAOTA)
WAOTA reserves the right to cancel or postpone any Association event. In the event that this occurs any registration fees receipted will be refunded in full. The Association is NOT liable for any other costs that the registrant may have incurred in registering for the event ( e.g. transportation, accommodation and loss of income).
If the registrant cancels their attendance at an Association event, the following refunds will apply:
- More than 4 weeks notice = 75% refund
- 2-4 weeks notice = 50% refund
- Less than 2 weeks notice = no refund
The annual WAOTA Research Symposium is a forum developed to give occupational therapists an opportunity to share current research developments in our profession. Occupational Therapists who are currently undertaking or have recently completed a research project are encouraged to present their progress and/or findings to an audience of OTs who are keen to find out about the most up-to-date outcomes in OT research.
The inaugural Research Symposium was held in 2014 and included a panel discussion for OTs who had general questions about research or needed some advice on how to get started.
More details about the next Research Symposium coming soon!
If you are interested in presenting your research at the next Research Symposium, please contact the WAOTA office on email@example.com
Sunday 20 October through to Saturday 26 October
Promoting your profession
OT Week is the ideal opportunity to increase awareness of occupational therapy by sharing the celebration of your profession with key groups such as:
- The public – awareness of the benefits of OT will assist with accessing services
- Schools – promoting awareness of OT can increase interest in OT as a career choice
- Politicians – helping to inform health policy makers
- Health Providers- helping to inform where funds and services are needed
Some ideas for spreading the messages are:
- Display Boards: a chance to show occupational therapy in action with pictures, case studies, publications, handouts and visual displays of workplace scenarios.
- Organising a stall: Show and discuss occupational therapy with promotional giveaways, pamphlets, balloons and interaction with those approaching your stall.
- Be a guest speaker: Organise to present at a local community club, service group, school and connect with existing local events. Occupational therapy covers a diverse area so tapping into a health related theme won’t be a challenge.
Some possible venues to spread the message are in your workplace, your organisation’ newsletter, local shopping area, community group, child’s school, local library or health centre, sporting clubs and other health related organisations. All it takes is enthusiasm and some organisation.
The annual OT Week Breakfast is the flagship event of the WA Occupational Therapy Association calendar. It is traditionally held annually on the Friday of OT Week, and is an opportunity for OTs to come together and celebrate the wonderful Occupational Therapy profession as a group. It is a great way to catch up with colleagues from university days or previous workplaces and a great place to meet new friends!
Each year, WAOTA invites a guest speaker to attend the Breakfast, with the aim of offering a personal perspective on Occupational Therapy and reigniting the passion for OT that inspires us to do what we do! The Breakfast also provides the opportunity for WAOTA to present Awards to recognise excellence among the members of WAOTA. Award winners are nominated by members of WAOTA, and all award winners remain unaware until their names are announced at the Breakfast!
- Photos [link to photos of past events]
- Award Nomination Form