Practising Occupational Therapists in Western Australia are required to be registered with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia. For full information go to the Allied Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) website.

Occupational Therapists must have completed a minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Occupational Therapy at a certified training institution. Occupational Therapists are trained in many disciplines, some of which include:

* Human Biology
* Social & Behavioural Science
* Occupational Science
* Occupational Therapy Theory & Practice
* Communication
* Management
* Research

University degree courses in Occupational Therapy vary in structure nationally and internationally. Training includes both theoretical study and considerable fieldwork or practical experience with clients under the supervision of a qualified Occupational Therapist. Occupational Therapy courses are very popular and there is considerable competition for places. Postgraduate courses are also available at Masters and Doctorate levels, for people who have completed an undergraduate degree.

Currently in Western Australia a four year Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy is offered at Curtin University of Technology ( and Edith Cowan University (

Please contact the Occupational Therapy Schools at each university to find out about any course information (undergraduate or postgraduate) –