The Committee of Management is incredibly excited that Dr Bessie Fowler has offered to coordinate a project to evaluate a number of occupational therapy assessments and outcome measures to include as a resource directory on the WAOTA website. We are pleased to announce Bess applied for and has been awarded a WAOTA research grant to support her in this project.
Most occupational therapists know the importance of using high quality assessments and outcome measures to support best treatment and justification of occupational therapy services. In practice however, selecting and using the optimum measure in the demanding clinical environment is often difficult, especially due to assessment access, time constraints, costs, and organisational support.
The official title of the project is:
‘Establishment of an Evidence-Based Online Register and Evaluations of Occupational Therapy Assessment and Outcome Measures on the WA Occupational Therapy Association Website‘.
Benefits to members:
The overall benefits of the project to members of the WAOTA is to provide an organisational method of organizing and leading; reviewing; evaluating; consensus appraisal and integration in clinical pathways and give a service to:
- Occupational Therapists by readily providing high-quality measures
- Assist managers with organizational requirements for outcome and justification of OT services and information on clinical utility such as cost of assessments, proficiency and assessment.
- Clinical researcher selecting high quality assessments and outcome measures to demonstrate a treatment difference in research projects.
Free Journal Access (Members Only)
WA Occupational Therapy Association membership provides you with free online access to ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source Database.
ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source provides users with journal access and reliable healthcare information covering allied health, nursing and complementary medicine. This database provides:
- abstracting and indexing for more than 1,015 titles, with over 860 titles in full-text, plus more than 12,300 full text dissertations
- access to chapters from online reference books
- exclusive access to evidence-based allied health and nursing information from The Joanna Briggs Institute including Systematic Reviews, Evidence Summaries, and Best Practice Information Sheets
- access to Rapid Assessment Protocol internet database (RAPid) and System for the Unified Management, Assessment and Review of Information (SUMARI). The RAPid training tool enables users to systematically evaluate research articles and write structured research findings to publish on the JBI interface while SUMARI is a developing software package designed to assist health and other researchers and practitioners to conduct systematic reviews
- exclusive Video Training from Medcom, Inc. Videos are well indexed for reliable search results and can be viewed in document view or downloaded to your desktop for reference.
Your ProQuest journal access includes the following publications (but is not limited to):
The Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, American Journal of Occupational Therapy, Journal of Allied Health, Journal of Rehabilitation, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, Journal of Psychosocial Nursing & Mental Health Services, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Physical Therapy Journal.
Follow the links in the Members Only section of the website to access these journals.
Additional Member Benefits:
- Over 40% discount on rates for WAOTA PD courses, workshops, seminars etc
- PD Scholarship Program for members to attend WAOTA PD courses, as well as international scholarship
- 10% discount to Development Occupational Therapy (DOT) and DOT PD events – http://www.dotwa.org.au/
- Free or discounted entry to WAOTA affiliated Interest Group meetings
- Members only discounted Professional Indemnity Insurance, Public Liability Insurance with Guild Insurance. Guild is offering WAOTA members currently insured with Guild 15% discount on their current rates. Not yet insured with Guild? Guild is offering all new customers 15 months of insurance for the price of 12
- Corporate rates for HBF Private Health Insurance and other products
- Advocacy and lobbying by WAOTA on behalf of OT members on issues of importance to the OT profession, for example WorkCover rates, liaison with OT schools and National Registration Board
- Website Job Advertisement services for OTs
- Networking and marketing opportunities
- WAOTA website news updates
- Eligibility for prizes and awards
- Eligibility to stand for election on WA committees
- Able to apply for and access research grants
- Free monthly WAOTA Cross Section newsletter
- Students enjoy free membership